Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 12th - Day 255

Isaiah 10-11:16

Isaiah 10

1 Woe to those who make unjust laws,

to those who issue oppressive decrees,

2 to deprive the poor of their rights

and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,

making widows their prey

and robbing the fatherless.

3 What will you do on the day of reckoning,

when disaster comes from afar?

To whom will you run for help?

Where will you leave your riches?

4 Nothing will remain but to cringe among the captives

or fall among the slain.

Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away,

his hand is still upraised.

God's Judgment on Assyria

5 "Woe to the Assyrian, the rod of my anger,

in whose hand is the club of my wrath!

6 I send him against a godless nation,

I dispatch him against a people who anger me,

to seize loot and snatch plunder,

and to trample them down like mud in the streets.

7 But this is not what he intends,

this is not what he has in mind;

his purpose is to destroy,

to put an end to many nations.

8 'Are not my commanders all kings?' he says.

9 'Has not Calno fared like Carchemish?

Is not Hamath like Arpad,

and Samaria like Damascus?

10 As my hand seized the kingdoms of the idols,

kingdoms whose images excelled those of Jerusalem and Samaria-

11 shall I not deal with Jerusalem and her images

as I dealt with Samaria and her idols?' "

12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, "I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes. 13 For he says:

" 'By the strength of my hand I have done this,

and by my wisdom, because I have understanding.

I removed the boundaries of nations,

I plundered their treasures;

like a mighty one I subdued [
a] their kings.

14 As one reaches into a nest,

so my hand reached for the wealth of the nations;

as men gather abandoned eggs,

so I gathered all the countries;

not one flapped a wing,

or opened its mouth to chirp.' "

15 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it,

or the saw boast against him who uses it?

As if a rod were to wield him who lifts it up,

or a club brandish him who is not wood!

16 Therefore, the Lord, the LORD Almighty,

will send a wasting disease upon his sturdy warriors;

under his pomp a fire will be kindled

like a blazing flame.

17 The Light of Israel will become a fire,

their Holy One a flame;

in a single day it will burn and consume

his thorns and his briers.

18 The splendor of his forests and fertile fields

it will completely destroy,

as when a sick man wastes away.

19 And the remaining trees of his forests will be so few

that a child could write them down.

The Remnant of Israel

20 In that day the remnant of Israel,

the survivors of the house of Jacob,

will no longer rely on him

who struck them down

but will truly rely on the LORD,

the Holy One of Israel.

21 A remnant will return, [b] a remnant of Jacob

will return to the Mighty God.

22 Though your people, O Israel, be like the sand by the sea,

only a remnant will return.

Destruction has been decreed,

overwhelming and righteous.

23 The Lord, the LORD Almighty, will carry out

the destruction decreed upon the whole land.

24 Therefore, this is what the Lord, the LORD Almighty, says:

"O my people who live in Zion,

do not be afraid of the Assyrians,

who beat you with a rod

and lift up a club against you, as Egypt did.

25 Very soon my anger against you will end

and my wrath will be directed to their destruction."

26 The LORD Almighty will lash them with a whip,

as when he struck down Midian at the rock of Oreb;

and he will raise his staff over the waters,

as he did in Egypt.

27 In that day their burden will be lifted from your shoulders,

their yoke from your neck;

the yoke will be broken

because you have grown so fat. [
c]

28 They enter Aiath;

they pass through Migron;

they store supplies at Micmash.

29 They go over the pass, and say,

"We will camp overnight at Geba."

Ramah trembles;

Gibeah of Saul flees.

30 Cry out, O Daughter of Gallim!

Listen, O Laishah!

Poor Anathoth!

31 Madmenah is in flight;

the people of Gebim take cover.

32 This day they will halt at Nob;

they will shake their fist

at the mount of the Daughter of Zion,

at the hill of Jerusalem.

33 See, the Lord, the LORD Almighty,

will lop off the boughs with great power.

The lofty trees will be felled,

the tall ones will be brought low.

34 He will cut down the forest thickets with an ax;

Lebanon will fall before the Mighty One.

Isaiah 11


The Branch From Jesse

1 A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;

from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—

the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,

the Spirit of counsel and of power,

the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD -

3 and he will delight in the fear of the LORD.

He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,

or decide by what he hears with his ears;

4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,

with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.

He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;

with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.

5 Righteousness will be his belt

and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

6 The wolf will live with the lamb,

the leopard will lie down with the goat,

the calf and the lion and the yearling [
d] together;

and a little child will lead them.

7 The cow will feed with the bear,

their young will lie down together,

and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

8 The infant will play near the hole of the cobra,

and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

9 They will neither harm nor destroy

on all my holy mountain,

for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD

as the waters cover the sea.

10 In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his place of rest will be glorious. 11 In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the remnant that is left of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, [e] from Cush, [f] from Elam, from Babylonia, [g] from Hamath and from the islands of the sea.

12 He will raise a banner for the nations

and gather the exiles of Israel;

he will assemble the scattered people of Judah

from the four quarters of the earth.

13 Ephraim's jealousy will vanish,

and Judah's enemies [
h] will be cut off;

Ephraim will not be jealous of Judah,

nor Judah hostile toward Ephraim.

14 They will swoop down on the slopes of Philistia to the west;

together they will plunder the people to the east.

They will lay hands on Edom and Moab,

and the Ammonites will be subject to them.

15 The LORD will dry up

the gulf of the Egyptian sea;

with a scorching wind he will sweep his hand

over the Euphrates River. [
i]

He will break it up into seven streams

so that men can cross over in sandals.

16 There will be a highway for the remnant of his people

that is left from Assyria,

as there was for Israel

when they came up from Egypt.


Footnotes:


  1. Isaiah 10:13 Or / I subdued the mighty ,
  2. Isaiah 10:21 Hebrew shear-jashub ; also in verse 22
  3. Isaiah 10:27 Hebrew; Septuagint broken / from your shoulders
  4. Isaiah 11:6 Hebrew; Septuagint lion will feed
  5. Isaiah 11:11 Hebrew from Pathros
  6. Isaiah 11:11 That is, the upper Nile region
  7. Isaiah 11:11 Hebrew Shinar
  8. Isaiah 11:13 Or hostility
  9. Isaiah 11:15 Hebrew the River


2 Corinthians 12:11-21



Paul's Concern for the Corinthians


11I have made a fool of myself, but you drove me to it. I ought to have been commended by you, for I am not in the least inferior to the "super-apostles," even though I am nothing. 12The things that mark an apostle—signs, wonders and miracles—were done among you with great perseverance. 13How were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was never a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!

14Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less? 16Be that as it may, I have not been a burden to you. Yet, crafty fellow that I am, I caught you by trickery! 17Did I exploit you through any of the men I sent you? 18I urged Titus to go to you and I sent our brother with him. Titus did not exploit you, did he? Did we not act in the same spirit and follow the same course?

19Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? We have been speaking in the sight of God as those in Christ; and everything we do, dear friends, is for your strengthening. 20For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. 21I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.


Psalm 56:1-13



Psalm 56


For the director of music. To the tune of "A Dove on Distant Oaks." Of David. A miktam . When the Philistines had seized him in Gath. [a]

1 Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;

all day long they press their attack.

2 My slanderers pursue me all day long;

many are attacking me in their pride.

3 When I am afraid,

I will trust in you.

4 In God, whose word I praise,

in God I trust; I will not be afraid.

What can mortal man do to me?

5 All day long they twist my words;

they are always plotting to harm me.

6 They conspire, they lurk,

they watch my steps,

eager to take my life.

7 On no account let them escape;

in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.

8 Record my lament;

list my tears on your scroll [
b]—

are they not in your record?

9 Then my enemies will turn back

when I call for help.

By this I will know that God is for me.

10 In God, whose word I praise,

in the LORD, whose word I praise-

11 in God I trust; I will not be afraid.

What can man do to me?

12 I am under vows to you, O God;

I will present my thank offerings to you.

13 For you have delivered me [c] from death

and my feet from stumbling,

that I may walk before God

in the light of life. [
d]


Footnotes:


  1. Psalm 56:1 Title: Probably a literary or musical term
  2. Psalm 56:8 Or / put my tears in your wineskin
  3. Psalm 56:13 Or my soul
  4. Psalm 56:13 Or the land of the living


Proverbs 23:6-8



6 Do not eat the food of a stingy man,

do not crave his delicacies;


7 for he is the kind of man

who is always thinking about the cost. [
a]

"Eat and drink," he says to you,

but his heart is not with you.

8 You will vomit up the little you have eaten

and will have wasted your compliments.


Footnotes:


  1. Proverbs 23:7 Or for as he thinks within himself, / so he is; or for as he puts on a feast, / so he is

No comments: